Precisely 70 years after the Corvette debuted at Motorama in New York City, Chevrolet has returned to introduce the first-ever electrified Corvette with all-wheel-drive and a powerful 6.2L LT2 Small Block V-8, the 2024 E-Ray.
“In 1953, the enthusiastic reaction to the Chevrolet Corvette concept kicked off seven decades of passion, performance and American ingenuity,” said Mark Reuss, General Motors president. “E-Ray, as the first electrified, all-wheel-drive Corvette, takes it a step further and expands the promise of what Corvette can deliver.”
“The Middle East is renowned globally for its appreciation of fast, powerful, beautiful sports cars, and the launch of the E-Ray will take this passion stratospheric,” said Ronald Balit, Communications Director of GM Africa & Middle East. “Every Corvette has surpassed the one before it, and the E-Ray is no exception, bringing breakthrough electrified technology and revolutionary performance to roads in the Middle East.”
Developed to be the Corvette owners can arrive anywhere, no matter the season, the new E-Ray — available in removable roof coupe and hardtop convertible models — uses electrification to enhance the driving experience with intense straight-line performance and sure-footed grand touring capabilities that can only be achieved with eAWD.
E-Ray is also the only sports car pairing two separate propulsion systems to provide naturally aspirated V-8 power with electrified responsiveness powered by eAWD, making it one like none.
“Every Chevrolet Corvette since 1953 has evolved the visceral sports car formula, and the E-Ray is no exception, bringing breakthrough electrified performance technology to Middle East supercar enthusiasts,” added Balit.
The E-Ray is the quickest production Corvette in history, clocking a 2.5-second 0-60 mph time1 before breezing through the quarter-mile in 10.5 seconds1.
“Corvettes must provide an exhilarating driving experience on backroads and tracks, and E-Ray nails it,” said Tadge Juechter, executive chief engineer, Corvette. “The electrification technology enhances the feeling of control in all conditions, adding an unexpected degree of composure.”
A near-immediate feeling of thrust from low-end torque is core to the Corvette driving experience, and the E-Ray packs plenty of it. Power comes from the 6.2L LT2 Small Block V-8, putting 495 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft of torque to the rear axle. It is complemented by an electric motor that channels an additional 160 horsepower and 125 lb. ft. of torque through the front wheels via a 1.9 kWh battery pack between the seats. E-Ray produces a combined 655 horsepower from the electric motor and Small Block V-8.
Creating Its Lane
E-Ray’s intelligent eAWD system constantly learns the road surface, seamlessly adapting to meet traction conditions and driver needs. During spirited driving and in low traction environments, E-Ray’s eAWD system applies additional power to the front wheels, helping to enhance vehicle stability.
There is no need for plug-in charging for the E-Ray’s battery system. The battery is charged via regenerative energy from coasting and braking, as well as during everyday driving.
Additional Features And Technologies Of The All-new E-ray Include:
- Stealth Mode, an electric drive mode for the street, up to 45 MPH
- The new lightweight lithium-ion 12-volt battery that supports the LT2 V-8 engine’s stop/start functionality
- Standard Brembo Carbon Ceramic brake system for optimal braking performance
- Standard Magnetic Ride Control 4.0 with three distinct suspension settings
- She staggered 20- and 21-inch wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport all-season tires. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires2 are available with an optional performance package.
- Low, wide stance with crafted body styling that is 3.6 inches wider overall than Stingray
- Visceral sound experience that embodies the car’s dominating presence. The electric front motor works harmoniously with the LT2 engine to create a refreshing sound.
- An enhanced roster of driver assistance technologies (shared with all 2024 Corvette models), including Lane Keep, Assist with Lane Departure Warning3, Forward Collision Alert3 and Automatic Emergency Braking3.
Electrified Propulsion Details
The 2024 Corvette E-Ray’s electrified propulsion system provides exhilarating acceleration to power out of corners and effortlessly complete passing manoeuvres. It can also offer limited all-electric propulsion at the driver’s discretion upon startup.
E-Ray’s standard Active Fuel Management system uses the electric motor to extend 4-cylinder operation in various driving scenarios.
The amount of electric assist is tailored within each of the Corvette E-Ray’s six driver-selectable modes: Tour, Sport, Track, Weather, My Mode and Z-Mode. Drivers can also select the Charge+ feature, which maximizes the battery’s state of charge.
E-Ray Performance App on the infotainment system provides the driver with technical insights into how the propulsion system operates. There are three primary display layouts:
- Gauges (displays dynamic power output from the electric motor and V8 engine)
- Dyno (provides a graph of power/torque across selectable time intervals)
- Data (showcases electrical system performance and efficiency).
The Corvette E-Ray’s electric motor over the front axle is compact, preserving space in the front storage compartment.
Stealth Mode and Tracking the E-Ray
The Corvette E-Ray’s two driver-initiated electric modes enable the car to travel under electric propulsion in certain conditions. The electric motor also optimizes track performance.
Stealth Mode enables all-electric driving when selected at startup for some time before the engine turns on for everyday driving. It is designed for quietly exiting a neighbourhood, with a maximum speed of 45 mph. The engine automatically engages if the vehicle’s speed exceeds the limit, additional torque is requested by the driver, or the E-Ray’s battery pack is depleted.
When leveraging the electrified propulsion system for enhanced track performance, E-Ray’s eAWD control system applies torque to the front axle as needed. The Charge+ feature can maximize the battery state of charge for extended lapping.
The custom-designed Performance Traction Management (PTM) modes are optimized with the eAWD propulsion system.
The Middle East is defined by its love of sports cars that look the part, and the E-Ray delivers an appearance that builds on the refined athletic styling and performance-driven design Corvette customers know and love.
At a glance, the E-Ray shares its purposeful, wide-body proportions with the Z06, accommodating wide wheels that help manage the car’s more incredible torque delivery. The lightweight alloy wheels have a twisted five-spoke star design exclusive to E-Ray.
“There’s never been a Corvette like E-Ray, and its sophisticated design reflects that,” said Phil Zak, executive design director of Global Chevrolet. “It starts with the body colour trim, which draws your full attention to the exotic proportions of the E-Ray. The interiors allow customers to reflect their personalities with their choice of colour executions that provide a refined or dynamic sport look and feel.”
E-Ray Design Highlights Include:
- Four aluminium wheel finishes
- Fourteen exterior colour choices — including new for 2024 Riptide Blue, Seawolf Gray and Cacti
- An E-Ray-exclusive body-length stripe package in Electric Blue
- Standard carbon flash badging
- Available black exhaust tips and bright badging
- Available carbon fibre ground effects
- Optional carbon fibre wheels in carbon flash, visible carbon fibre finish or visible carbon fibre with a red stripe
The E-Ray also introduces the all-new Artemis Dipped interior, which features complementary deep green tones on nearly every interior surface and will only be available on 2024 Corvettes. There are multiple options for customers to select from when it comes to personalizing their E-Ray’s interior, including two carbon fibre trim packages, three seat choices, seven interior colours, and more.
Additionally, the console has new Charge+ and Stop/Start buttons and updates to the infotainment system and instrument cluster to provide a more integrated appearance.
Arriving in the Middle East End of 2023
The 2024 Corvette E-Ray will arrive in the Middle East as early as the end of 2023. Go to chevroletarabia.com for more information.
UP IN NEWS
- Polestar Delivers On 2022 Global Volumes Target
- Unleashing DBS 770 Ultimate: The Most Powerful Production Aston Martin Ever
- Hyundai IONIQ 5 Wins Car And Driver 10Best Trucks And Suvs Award
- Drivers Warned As Winter Weather Here To Stay This Week
- Seven Ways To Protect A Car From Ice Damage
Stay Ahead of the Curve
Unlock the World’s Leading Source of Automotive News and Analysis.
Autoscommunity.com provides innovative marketing and advertising solutions to support an advertiser’s specific campaign objectives. Customized programs leverage the best of Autoscommunity.com. Contact our sales team today and see what our team can do for your custom advertising solutions.
Why You Can Trust Autos Community
Our expert, award-winning staff selects the automotive-related news we cover and rigorously researches and tests our top picks.
Think Your Friends Would Be Interested? Share This