Who we are
Our website address is https://autoscommunity.com.
This Privacy Notice describes the privacy practices of Autoscommunity only and does not cover the practices of other companies, including those that may advertise or sponsor content, products or services on the Digital Services.
- WHAT INFORMATION WE OBTAIN
When you use a Digital Service, we may obtain various types of information related to you and your use of the Digital Service. This may include information that directly identifies you such as your name, address, or contact information (this type of information may be called “personal information” or “personally identifiable information”). The information we obtain generally consists of information (1) you give us about yourself, (2) you provide us about others, (3) automatically collected about your interactions with the Digital Services and our content or ads on third-party websites, apps or other media, and (4) we get from other sources.
- The information you give us
We may ask you to provide information about yourself when you use Digital Services. For example, to subscribe to one of our newsletters, you will need to give us an email address. You may not be able to use certain features if you choose not to submit the requested information.
The information you give us may include details such as:
- Contact information (e.g., name, mailing address, email address or phone number).
- Demographic, interests and household information (e.g., age, gender or education).
- Comments, photos, videos and other content or information you choose to publish on the Digital Services or otherwise share with us.
- The information you provide when you choose to participate in surveys, polls, sweepstakes, contests or promotions (including information about your participation in activities that may generate loyalty or rewards points).
- Location information, which may include precise location information when you permit the Digital Services to access device location. To prevent the collection of specific location information, please refer to instructions provided by your mobile service provider or device manufacturer.
- Other information you may allow us to access through your device’s permissions settings, such as your contacts or address book.
- Transactional and activity information (e.g., requests, searches or orders).
- The information you give us about others
You may provide us with information about other people, such as the name and email of a friend or contact with whom you want to share an article or the name and address of a gift subscription recipient. Do not give us information about others unless you are authorised or have their consent to do so. We will use their details for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.
- Information automatically collected
The Digital Services automatically log specific information about visits to the Digital Services, such as the number and frequency of visitors, technical details on browsers and devices used to access the Digital Services, and information about crashes or other technical issues. Also, third parties and we may automatically collect specific information through automated means about your activities over time across the Digital Services as well as across third-party sites, apps or other media. The tools that collect this information vary depending on the Digital Services and include technologies such as cookies, web beacons, tags, scripts, pixels, local shared objects (including HTML5 cookies) and software development kits (“SDKs”). These technologies may be included in our web pages, mobile apps, emails, and other digital content. The tools may assign or collect unique cookie IDs or other identifiers associated with your browser or device. The tools may collect information while you are using our Digital Services or while they are running in the background of your device.
The information automatically collected may include:
- Information about your computer, device, browser and operating system (e.g., type, model, or version).
- Internet protocol (IP) address, which may be used to derive your general geographic area (e.g., city and country).
- Device identifiers (e.g., mobile advertising IDs).
- Information about your interactions with the Digital Services, including browsing activities and clickstream data that reflect the content you have accessed, clicked on or viewed.
- Information about how you accessed the Digital Services, including details about websites or apps visited immediately before or after accessing a Digital Service.
- Demographic, interests and household information.
- Information about your interactions with email messages and other communications, such as whether you opened or forwarded the email or clicked on links contained in the email.
- Information we obtain from other sources
We receive information about you from other sources and it may be combined with additional information about you. For example, we may get data from:
- Operators of third-party sites or apps, content distribution channels and platforms, voice-activated assistants (e.g., Amazon Alexa, Google Home) or other devices and technologies when you interact with our content, products, services or ads available on those channels and platforms. The information we receive may include information about the content you view or access as well as your demographic information and information about your interests.
- Third-party data suppliers such as data aggregators, data resellers, public databases and business partners. They may provide us with demographic information, information about your purchases, and other information that helps us learn about you and other users of the Digital Services.
- Social Media Platforms and similar services (“Social Media Platforms”). When you engage with our content or ads on Social Media Platforms, or interact with features on the Digital Services that contain content or functions provided by Social Media Platforms (e.g., login or sign in features or tools that allow you to share our content with others on Social Media Platforms), we may obtain information from Social Media Platforms, including your username, user ID, demographic information and other information, subject to the settings and privacy practices of the relevant Social Media Platform. We may obtain this information directly from the Social Media Platform or through plug-ins, integrations or applications.
- HOW WE USE INFORMATION, WE OBTAIN
If you make a purchase or place an order through or in connection with a Digital Service, we use your payment card information (e.g., your card number and expiration date) for limited purposes such as to process your transaction (including recurring payments, if applicable), to provide you with the requested products or services and for the purposes described under the section “To protect our rights or the rights of others” below.
Concerning information other than your payment card information, we use that information:
- To provide you with Digital Services. This includes:
- Processing your requests regarding the Digital Services and our subscriptions, products or services, or your participation in a survey, sweepstakes, contest, promotion, event or a similar initiative.
- Providing customer assistance or technical support.
- Customising content, providing recommendations and enhancing the quality and your overall experience with the Digital Services, including by retaining your user preferences or presenting content most effectively for the browser or device you use to access the Digital Services.
- Maintaining, operating, improving and developing the Digital Services and related content, products or services, including developing new products and features based on users’ interactions with the Digital Services.
- Learning about users of the Digital Services and analysing how you and others interact with and respond to the Digital Services, including by measuring and optimising usage, reliability and performance, conducting market research, examining trends, and supporting our operations (e.g., for accounting, auditing, financial, legal or other purposes).
2. To communicate with you. This includes:
- Sending you informational messages about the Digital Services (e.g., to confirm your subscription or notify you of changes to a Digital Service).
- Delivering marketing or promotional communications, including offers or promotions about our or third parties’ products, services or other initiatives.
- Responding to your questions or addressing your requests.
- Communicating with you about surveys, sweepstakes, contests, promotions or events.
3. For advertising and marketing purposes, including interest-based advertising. This includes:
- Developing, managing and conducting advertising and marketing campaigns, promotions and offers, including our content, products and services or third parties’ products, services and other initiatives.
- Interest-based advertising (also known as targeted or personalised advertising or ads) is advertising based on your interests as inferred from your activities over time on the Digital Services and online services operated by third parties, as well as information from other sources. Interest-based ads may consist of text ads, images, animations or videos and may be displayed to you based on various factors, including the context of the site or app in which they appear (e.g., sport or travel section), information you provided to the operator of the website or app (e.g., when you created an account), your activities on the site or app (e.g., pages viewed, searches performed or ads clicked), and information such as your demographic, interests and household information.
- On the Digital Services and third-party sites, apps or other media, we, our service providers and third parties may use automated means to (a) collect information for interest-based advertising purposes or (b) serve you interest-based ads. These computerised means vary depending on the Digital Services and include technologies such as cookies, web beacons, tags, scripts, pixels, local shared objects (including HTML5 cookies) and SDKs. These technologies may use unique identifiers associated with your browser or device to support interest-based advertising.
- We may use the online and offline information we obtain about you, including your personal information, for interest-based advertising purposes. We may aggregate the information we get to create audiences that are most likely to respond to ads based on demographics, interests or household information.
- Interest-based ads may be displayed to you by third parties, such as ad networks or exchanges.
- There are steps you can take to limit the collection of your information for interest-based advertising purposes. These steps vary for the web and mobile app environments and are browser and device specific.
- In serving interest-based ads, we adhere to the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising developed by the Digital Advertising Alliance.
- Cross-device linking. If you access the Digital Services from multiple browsers or devices, we, our service providers and third parties may try to establish connections among and link the different browsers and devices you use to access the Digital Services and our content or ads published elsewhere. This helps us provide you with a seamless experience across the browsers and devices you use and serve you with more relevant content and advertisements (e.g., so that we don’t show you the same article twice).
- Analysing and measuring the performance, effectiveness and reach of our advertising (including interest-based ads) and marketing efforts on the Digital Services and elsewhere.
4. To protect our rights or the rights of others. This includes:
- Performing audits, assessments and testing or troubleshooting activities.
- Backing up our systems (including for disaster recovery purposes) and enhancing the overall security of the Digital Services.
- Complying with and enforcing applicable industry and legal requirements (including legal processes such as court orders, warrants or subpoenas) and fulfilling contractual obligations.
- HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
We may share the information we obtain with:
- Affiliates and Subsidiaries. We work closely with affiliates and subsidiaries with whom we share your information as necessary or appropriate to operate the Digital Services.
- Service Providers. In connection with the operation and provision of the Digital Services, we engage various third parties to provide services or handle transactions on our behalf, such as payment card processing, email distribution, list processing, postal mailing, cloud computing, analytics, digital content performance measurement, ad serving and managing sweepstakes, contests, promotions or events. These service providers use the information we provide to them as necessary or appropriate for the performance of their services.
- Advertisers, Advertising- and Marketing-Related Service Providers and Partners. We may provide your information to advertisers, advertising agencies, ad networks, ad exchanges, marketing businesses, technology vendors and other entities that create, deliver and assess advertising or marketing campaigns, including interest-based ads.
- Content Measurement Companies. Third parties and we seek to measure the performance of content across the internet, including on the Digital Services. We may include third-party measurement software in the Digital Services to enable market research or to measure digital and video content consumption.
- Social Media Platforms. If you interact with social media widgets, share content using social media share buttons, or access features of the Digital Services that contain content or functions provided by Social Media Platforms, the relevant Social Media Platforms may collect information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the Social Media Platforms that you engage with as we are not responsible for their privacy practices.
- Business Partners. We may provide your information to business partners including, without limitation, joint marketing partners and content sponsors, for various purposes. For example, we may partner with a third party to offer products on a co-branded, co-sponsored or cross-promotional basis that involves the sharing of information. These initiatives may be provided on the Digital Services or other media.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or As Necessary to Protect Our Rights. We may share your information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce, or defend our legal rights, the privacy or safety of our employees, users of the Digital Services or other individuals and entities, or to comply with or enforce applicable industry standards, law or legal process, including responding to court orders, warrants, subpoenas and other requests from public and government authorities.
- Corporate Transactions. We reserve the right to transfer any of the information we have about you to proceed with the consideration, negotiation, or completion of a sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets to a third party, such as in the event of a merger, acquisition or other disposition, or in connection with a bankruptcy reorganization, dissolution, or liquidation.
- Your Consent or Otherwise at Your Direction. Also, we may share your information with third parties when you consent to or request such sharing.
- YOUR CHOICES, INCLUDING MARKETING AND INTEREST-BASED ADS OPT-OUTS
Direct Marketing Opt-Outs
- Email marketing. You may opt out of receiving marketing or promotional emails from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link contained in such emails. Depending on the Digital Service you use, you also may be able to opt out of marketing or promotional emails by logging into your account and managing your email preferences. Please keep in mind that if you choose to receive marketing or promotional emails, we may still send you transactional emails or other communications relating to your use of the Digital Services (e.g., to confirm your subscription, to inform you of changes to a Digital Service or in response to your password recovery request).
- Text message marketing. If you choose to participate in a text message marketing campaign or promotion offered in connection with a Digital Service, you may opt out of receiving marketing texts from us by following the instructions contained in those messages (e.g., texting the word STOP) or provided to you when you elected to receive text message marketing.
- Marketing by Third Parties. We may provide your contact information to third parties for their marketing purposes. To request that third parties do not use your postal mailing contact information for their marketing purposes (if we have your postal address), you may notify us in writing to [email protected], Attn: Harry Soukar. Also, you may be able to request that third parties do not use your email address (if we have it) for their marketing purposes by logging into your account or the preferences centre (if available) for the relevant Digital Service and adjusting your email preferences.
- Co-Branded, Co-Sponsored or Cross-Promotional Offerings. If you choose to participate in a co-branded, co-sponsored or cross-promotional offering, the brand, sponsor or other third party involved in that offering may use your information for its purposes, including advertising and marketing purposes. You must contact the relevant third party directly to exercise your opt-out choices concerning such party’s use of your information.
Interest-Based Ads Opt-Outs
Some of the ads you see on the Digital Services are interest-based ads. This means that these ads are customised based on the information we and others obtain about you. We describe below steps you can take to limit tracking of your activities and the delivery of interest-based ads in browsers and mobile apps you use to access the Digital Services. Please keep in mind that if you opt out of interest-based ads, you will still see ads, but these ads will not be based on your inferred interests. Also, if you take the steps described below, some automated means may still be used to collect information about your interactions with the Digital Services for the other purposes described in this Privacy Notice (e.g., to remember user preferences or enable specific functionality).
The technologies used to deliver ads on websites and mobile apps differ. Please also remember that opt-outs are browser and device-specific.
Website (Browser) Opt-Out
- Disabling Cookies. Most browsers accept cookies by default. You may be able to change the settings to have your browser refuse certain cookies or notify you before accepting cookies.
- Opt-out Cookies. You can follow the instructions provided by the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) and the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) to place an opt-out cookie on your browser. These opt-out cookies enable you to block participating companies from installing future cookies on your computer or browser.
- If you place opt-out cookies but subsequently clear or delete cookies on your computer or device browser, your opt-out cookies may be deleted and you may have to renew your opt-out choices for that specific browser.
- The opt-out mechanisms offered by the DAA and NAI are provided by third parties. Hearst does not control or operate these mechanisms, or the choices supplied through these mechanisms.
Mobile App Opt-Out
- Device Settings. To limit interest-based advertising on your mobile device, you can review and adjust the settings provided by your device manufacturer, such as “Limit Ad Tracking” for iOS or “Opt-out of interest-based ads ” for Android.
- AppChoices Application. You can download the “AppChoices” application provided by the DAA from your app store. AppChoices offers a mechanism to limit the collection of app data used for interest-based ads by participating companies.
Please keep in mind that as the mobile environment continues to evolve, additional opt-out mechanisms or privacy settings may become available to you. We encourage you to review the information on opt-outs and settings that device manufacturers, technology companies and industry associations make available to you.
The Digital Services may include Nielsen proprietary measurement software, which contributes to market research.
- User account.If you have created an account on a Digital Service, you may be able to review some of your information for that account by logging in and updating your information or user preferences.
- Device Settings. For relevant Digital Services, you may be able to review and adjust your preferences by updating the settings on your device (e.g., permitting us to collect precise location information).
- Push Notifications. If a Digital Service enables push notifications on your device, you may review and update your push notification preferences by adjusting the settings on your device. For example, you can select the relevant app from “Notifications” (for iOS devices) or “App notifications” (for Android devices) and turn off alerts accordingly.
- HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect information from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. However, no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we make reasonable efforts to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
- NON-U.S. VISITORS
We operate Digital Services from the United States. Any information we obtain about you in connection with your use of the Digital Services may be processed and stored in the United States or other countries.
- CHILDREN’S PRIVACY RIGHTS
Digital Services are not intended for use by children, especially those under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
- LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES, MOBILE APPS OR OTHER SERVICES
The Digital Services may contain links to websites, mobile apps or other services operated by companies not affiliated with Hearst. Also, the Digital Services may be made available to you through third-party platforms (such as app stores or Social Media Platforms) or other channels. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of any non-Hearst operated websites, mobile apps or other services and channels, and we encourage you to review the privacy policies or notices published by relevant third parties.
- CAREERS/JOB OPPORTUNITIES
This Privacy Notice does not apply to web pages hosting our careers or job opportunities. Any information obtained through such pages is governed by the privacy notice published thereon.
- CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time to reflect changes in our privacy practices or applicable laws. In accordance with applicable law, we may make such changes without prior notice. We will publish the updated version on the relevant Digital Services and indicate at the top of the Privacy Notice when it was most recently updated. Your use of the Digital Services will be governed by the then-current version of the Privacy Notice.
- CONTACT US
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact us by email at [email protected]