Formula E and the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) at the Yacht Club de Monaco revealed the future of all-electric high-performance motorsport, where the third-generation Formula E race car was officially unveiled to the public.
The Gen3 is the world’s first race car designed and optimised specifically for street racing. It will debut in Season 9 of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship, where some of the world’s greatest manufacturers race wheel-to-wheel on the streets of iconic global cities.
Developed by engineers and sustainability experts at the FIA and Formula E, the Gen3 is the pinnacle of high performance, efficiency and sustainability. Designed to show the world that high performance and sustainability can powerfully co-exist without compromise, the Gen3 pioneers cutting-edge technologies that will make the transfer from race to the road.
While aerodynamic development programs have been central to driving incremental improvement in motorsport for decades, the launch of the Gen3 propels software engineering forwards as a new battleground for motorsport innovation and competition. Performance upgrades to the Gen3 will be delivered as software updates directly to the advanced operating system built into the car.
Seven of the world’s leading automotive manufacturers have registered with the FIA to race the new Gen3 in Season 9 of the ABB FIA World Championship with pre-season testing this winter. They are DS Automobiles (France), Jaguar (UK), Mahindra Racing (India); Maserati (Italy); NIO 333 (UK / China); Nissan (Japan); Porsche (Germany).
Design, engineering and production innovations for the Gen3 race car include:
- Fastest Formula E car yet with a top speed over 322 kph / 200 mph.
- Most efficient formula racing car ever, with more than 40% of the energy used within a race produced by regenerative braking.
- Around 95% power efficiency from an electric motor delivering up to 350kW of power (470BHP), compared to approximately 40% for an internal combustion engine.
- First-ever formula car with both front and rear powertrains. A new front powertrain adds 250kW to the 350kW at the rear, more than doubling the regenerative capability of the current Gen2 to a total of 600kW.
- Ultra-high-speed charging capability of 600kW for additional energy during a race, almost double the power of the most advanced commercial chargers in the world.
- The first formula car that will not feature rear hydraulic brakes with the addition of the front powertrain and its regenerative capability.
Every aspect of Gen3 production has been rethought, redesigned and rebuilt to ensure the car sets the benchmark for high-performance, sustainable racing without compromise. For example, natural materials have been introduced to tyres, batteries and bodywork construction with life cycle thinking at the core.
- Gen3 batteries are among the most advanced, sustainable batteries made of sustainably-sourced minerals, while battery cells will be reused and recycled at the end of life.
- Linen and recycled carbon fibre will be used in bodywork construction for the first time in a formula car featuring recycled carbon fibre from retired Gen2 vehicles and reducing the overall amount of virgin carbon fibre used. This will reduce the carbon footprint of the production of the Gen3 bodywork by more than 10%. All waste carbon fibre will be reused for new applications by adopting an innovative process from the aviation industry.
- Natural rubber and recycled fibres will make up 26% of new Gen3 tyres, and all tyres will be fully recycled after racing.
- The carbon footprint of Gen3 has been measured from the design phase to inform all reduction measures taken to reduce environmental impact. At the same time, all unavoidable emissions will be offset as part of Formula E’s net-zero carbon commitment.
- All Gen3 suppliers will operate in line with the highest international standards to reduce environmental impacts of manufacturing (ISO 14001) and be FIA Environmental Accreditation 3-Star rated.
UP IN NEWS
- Rock and Roll Classics Set to Wow the Crowds at London Concours
- Saudi Rally Star Rakan Al Rashed Hopes Local Experience Prove Crucial at Rally de Portugal
- Volvo Cars First Quarter 2022 – A Stable Performance in an Unstable Environment
- GM Confirms All-Electric Corvette Sports Car in the Works
- Mack Range Calculator for Electric Vehicles Helps Customers Plan Routes for Electrification
Stay Ahead of the Curve
Unlock the World’s Leading Source of Automotive News and Analysis.
Autoscommunity.com provides innovative marketing and advertising solutions to support an advertiser’s specific campaign objectives. Customised programs leverage the best of Autoscommunity.com. Contact our sales team today and see what our team can do for your custom advertising solutions.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to our sales team. You can also get in touch in the following ways: